Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's Maple Syrup Time!

The nights are cool plus the days are warm.  You know what that equals?  Maple Syrup time.  Nothing beats Canadian Maple Syrup.  We only make enough for ourselves, but even at that it is alot of work.  Considering it takes approximately 40 Gallons of sap to make 1 Gallon of Maple Syrup. A ratio of 40:1 That is alot of sap. Boy, is it worth it though.  Since I work full time I do not have the time to have a actual sugar bush cooking house, so we cook it with propane.  Still get the full taste and aroma but I do not have to sit in the bush into the wee hours and wait for the syrup to be ready.  Come with me as I show you what I do.


The great sugar maple.  She sure is lovely.  In spring you give me sap and in the fall you give me a beautiful show of colors.



Time to drill the hole.  Have to put some muscle into it.



The spoil.  It brings the sap from the tree to the bucket ( which by the way can be pretty much anything, I like to use coffee cans because they are not heavy and easy to handle )



Little helpers looking on as it starts to drip in the bucket.

 

Here is what I cook the syrup in.  Just a simple propane burner and stainless pot.  Pretty simple.





The sap is a cooking.  Soon it will be on yummy pancakes, but we will have to wait since its still cooking.  Hope you enjoyed my day in the sugar bush




9 comments:

  1. Well, that post just made my mouth water! Very interesting to see how you harvest and cook the sap to make syrup - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun family project! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would looooooooooove to make my own syrup, yum. Its great to be able to see how its done. Thanks for taking the time to show us in such detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to do this up north! Great memories, sweet smells, and thoughts of yummy pancakes! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Makes me think of annual school trips to the Cabana a Sucre. I love the thickened syrup drizzled on fresh snow and twirled onto a popsicle stick. Wish I could have some now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, how long does the sap have to boil down for? Every year we would go on a class trip to a sugar bush, lots of fun standing around, feeding the fire, and generally getting in the way. The best part was when they poured some hot syrup on a patch of clean snow, Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! I love maple syrup and have always wanted to make my own- for now I have to rely on a friend from Vermont who sends some my way every year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see this whole process is person some day! It looks fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl, this is my first visit to your blog site and what a treat! I'm originally from upstate NY (by Vermont) and remember the treat of real true Maple Syrup being made in a sugar shack (a long time ago)! Looking forward to seeing much more. :)

    ReplyDelete